Monday, October 12, 2009

Okay...I Did It! It's Twitter Time!

After a great number of emails from friends and all the rest of the hype I have heard over and over again over the past several months. I have joined Twitter. I am now a twitter man.

I spent about an hour on there after i signed up to see what was so great about the quickly growing and very popular social network, and I can somewhat see why it is liked so. It is a great way of seeing what is going on in the lives of friends, family, and your favorite artiest or celebrity at the moment it is happening.

I do have a couple of concerns however. One: I already feel, with the popularity of social networks, that people are loosing the beauty of actually having face to face interaction with people. Relationships are one of the great gifts that God has given to us, and I fear that such networks such as Twitter, Facebook, and MySpace are encouraging people to neglect such a gift. I was sitting and writing a blog one day and my wife sent me an instant message through Google and asked me a question. That would not normally be a problem; however, she was just in the next room. Do I need to say more.
Two: These kind of things encourage people to act out in ways that they normally would not in face to face interaction. Now this, in some ways, may be okay, (some may reveal truth about what they really feel about something deep inside thus setting them free from such bondage.) but for the most part it creates a world of unreality for people to get into character and be someone they are really not.

That being said, Twitter would be a great way to stay connected with people who you would not normally see every week such as friends and family in other states or countries. I mean... it's not like you can talk to Mac Powell of the wonderful band Third Day on a daily basses, so Twitter would be a great way of staying connected with what ol Mac and the boys are up to today.

My opinion would be for everyone to delete their MySpace accounts, as I did, and join Twitter. It is, at least for now, a much cleaner way of keeping in touch. It is, however, so busy that it runs a little slow with a few interruptions because their servers are overworked, but I would imagine that this would be something that the folks over at Twitter will resolve do to supply and demand.

Just a thought...Happy Twitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shoot Me Straight